Scottish Veterans LX Hockey Club header


Grand Masters Home Internationals
Peffermill, Edinburgh 10-12 July 2015

For the first time, Ireland competed in the Grand Masters (Over 60) Home Internationals, joining England (holders), Scotland and Wales. England once more ran out convincing winners of the Linburn Trophy. Welsh Captain Steve Sparkes, with four goals, was the top scorer.

Friday 10 July

England flag England 7 Wales 1 Wales flag
England: Rudd, Skinner (2), Ray, Uhbi, Dixon, Robinson
Wales: Sparkes

Scotland flag Scotland 2 Ireland 1 Ireland flag
Scotland: Loudon, Ogilvie
Ireland: Sherrard

Scotland edged out the Irish in a closely fought match in which the initiative swung first one way, then the other. Scotland started brightly and had the Irish camped in their own half but without creating any clear cut chances. As the first half wore on, the Irish came more and more into the game but again had no cutting edge. The first goal came out of the blue when Loudon fastened on to a through ball and slipped the ball into the net to give Scotland the lead, just before half time. Ireland pressed hard in the second half and were rewarded with an equaliser, but Scotland were always a threat on the break and passed up two golden opportunities to score, ech time the forward putting the ball past the post when one on one with the Irish keeper. Ireland's desire to find the winner finally cost them dear when Ogilvie converted after Scotland fashioned a two on one in the circle. Ireland fought to the bitter end and could arguably have been awarded a penalty stroke in the dying seconds, but the umpire awarded a penalty corner instead and Scotland saw out the match for a 2-1 victory, leaving them in second place behind England on goal difference.

Saturday 11 July

Ireland flag Ireland 1 Wales 1 Wales flag
Ireland: Matthews
Wales: Sparkes

Scotland flag Scotland 0 England 2 England flag
England: Robinson (2)

Scotland almost caused an upset straight from the start when Bishop and Morrison were through on the English keeper but he got his foot to the ball and the loose ball eluded the Scottish strikers. England pressed for most of the first half but had nothing to show for it other than a number of short corners, from one of which Wilson made a good save on the line. Scotland always looked dangerous on the break and were unlucky when Watson, straight off the bench, found himself unmarked in the English circle. His shot lacked power and the English keeper managed to deflect it past for a corner. England took the match by the scruff of the neck at the start of the second half and created two great chances, matched by superb saves by Kalman in the Scottish goal. However Kalman could do nothing when a shot from Robinson took a nasty deflection to loop over him high into the net to put England one up. A second goal was not long coming and there was no luck attached to this one, Robinson picking up a telling pass and running in unopposed to score his second goal. Scotland lost a number of players through injury and the pace of the game dropped, but to their credit, the Scots regrouped in the final quarter, and were unlucky not to score when Bishop's close in effort was scrambled away by the England keeper. Scotland can take great credit from this performance, which augurs well for their chances in the European Cup.

Sunday 12 July

Scotland flag Scotland 1 Wales 3 Wales flag GM
Scotland: Loudon
Wales: Sparkes (2), Johnson

Scotland took the game to Wales from the start and dominated the whole game. Chances went astray through good Welsh goalkeeping and poor finishing, and Wales were content to soak up the pressure and use the crash ball to find their two strikers sitting high. This proved effective and the Welsh led 2-0 after the first quarter. The game continued in the same way during the second and third quarters, Wales increasing their lead with a penalty stroke. In one of the best moves of the game down the left Morrison set up a simple chance to allow Loudon to guide the ball past the stationary Welsh keeper for a late consolation goal for the hosts. The final score of 3-1 to Wales meant that Scotland missed out on second place, Wales taking that position with Scotland in third.

Ireland flag Ireland 0 England 2 England flag GM
England: Wooding, Evans

Kieran McLernan presents England Captain Tim Smith with the Linburn Trophy at the Home Internationals at Peffermill 12 July 2015
Tim Smith is presented with the Grand Masters Linburn Trophy


  P W D L F A Pt GD
England 3 3 0 0 11 1 9 10
Wales 3 1 1 1 5 9 4 -4
Scotland 3 1 0 2 3 6 3 -3
Ireland 3 0 1 2 2 5 1 -3



England Grand Masters Squad 2015

Bruce Evans, Conrad Ray, David Blackmore, David Dixon, Gordon Gray, Graham Skinner, Henry Robinson, Ken Wooding, Kim Hansen, Manjit Uhbi, Martin Jenkins, Mike Rudd, Peter Mccollum, Peter Wright, Peter Austin, Roy Hilton, Steve Seymour, Tim Smith (Captain)


George Blackwood, John Fleming, Tom Gelletlie, Mick Jordan, John Keppel, Andy Matthews, Crawford McKee, Paul Moore, Frank Nawn, Billy Pollock, Brendan Rice, Mick Ryan, Bill Sedgwick, Sandy Sherrard, Fergus Stapleton, Paul Tynan


Jim Bate, Hew Bishop, Peter Burns, John Candlin, Jim Chisholm, Jan Durajczyk, John Hay, Derek Johnstone, Chris Kalman (GK), Gordon Loudon, Ken Moore, Bernie Morrison, Alistair Ogilvie, Glenn Paton, John Smith, Chris Taylor (GK), Jim Watson, Ian Wilson (Captain)


Zahid Arian, Martin Brough, Peter Cowen, Steve Drowley, Richard Evans, Suhk Gill, Phil Graham, John Hardman, Ian Johnson, Peter Martineau, Roger Parr, Bruce Perkins, Steve Sparkes (Captain), Nigel Wood, Antony Wyatt

Great Grand Masters Reports