7th WGMA World Cup 2014 HC Klein Zwitserland, Den Haag, Netherlands

Wednesday 4 June - Friday 13 June 2014

Scotland Over 60s and Over 65s headed off to HC Klein Zwitserland, Den Haag, Netherlands for the 7th WGMA World Cup from 4-13 June. Scotland Over 60s got off to a slow start in the tournament, going down 2-0 to Wales in the opening match in which Wales were in total command in the first half, which ended 2-0. Scotland regrouped in the second half but could not take advantage of some good attacking play, and the game finished with no further scoring. Scotland Over 65s faced an uphill struggle in their opening match on the first afternoon against Netherlands, though the final score of 5-0 to the Dutch was poor reward for a workmanlike display from the Scots. It was the Over 60s turn to take on Netherlands on the second day and while they played better than on the previous day they still lost 4-1, the score flattering the Dutch a little. Still, wins in the two remaining matches against Ireland and Spain would still leave them with a chance of challenging for a medal place. A 2-1 loss to Ireland in the third match put paid to their medal chances and left Scotland over 60s playing off for the minor places. Their poor form in the pool matches continued in the final match against Spain with a 3-1 loss. Needing to beat New Zealand on Tuesday 10 June for a place in the 9-12 playoffs, they did it in style with a 4-1 victory. On Friday 6 June, the Over 65s crumbled against a vastly superior England team and went down 12-0. With all hope of a medal gone, Scotland Over 65s really began their tournament against Japan on Saturday 7 June, when a win would have set them up for a chance of taking fifth place in the play offs. A 2-2 draw left them in fourth place in the pool on goal difference but fifth place is still within their reach. The result against Japan is carried forward into the play offs where they play Italy, South Africa and Wales. Unfortunately a blunder by the organisers saw Scotland with no opponents on Tuesday 10 March and they were unable to complete their fixtures in the playoff matches.

Over 60s

Scotland Over 60s are drawn in a pool of five with Ireland, Netherlands, Spain and Wales. The top two and the best two third placed teams out of the three groups will go on to the quarter finals and the remaining 3rd place team has a bye into the 9-12 play offs. Quarter final winners go through to the semi finals to decide places 1-4 and losers play off for positions 5-8. The teams finishing fourth and 5th play off for the three remaining places in the 9-12 playoffs and the losers play off in a round robin for positions 13-15.

Scotland Squad

Bate, Bishop, Burns, Candlin, Chisholm, Connaghan, Johnstone, Kalman (GK), Lorimer, Loudon, McBride, Moore, Morrison, Ogilvie, Paton, S. Robertson, Taylor (GK), Wilson (Captain).

Pool A All Ireland flag Netherlands Flag Scotland flag Spain Flag Wales Flag

Thu 5 June Scotland flag Scotland 0 Wales 2 Wales Flag video

Scotland started the first match of their pool stage brightly, moving the ball well in midfield and threatening the Welsh defence without creating any scoring chances. The Welsh reacted by closing down the Scottish midfielders, with the result that they were able to control that section of the pitch. Wales took the game to the Scots, using long balls up to their lone striker to great effect. By contrast, Scotland's attempts to play the long ball fell down through lack of basic hitting and stopping skills. Wales took the lead through a quick attack which found an attacker free on the left. Kalman saved the first shot but the Welsh had followed up in numbers and the ball broke to a unmarked forward on the right who had a simple task to net for the first goal. Worse was to follow when a mishit cross/shot from the right deflected off Wilson's stick leaving Kalman helpless in the Scottish goal. 2-0 Wales at half time. Scotland started the second half in the mood to take something back from the game, the midfield having a more organised look, but Wales continued to put the Scottish defence under massive pressure, aided by lacklustre attempts to clear by the Scottish defence. Paton and Bishop did their best to give Scotland something in attempt and they nearly reduced the deficit when these two combined to put Paton through the middle, but his shot went narrowly past the left hand post. As the game wore on, Scotland began to exert some pressure on the Welsh defence and the Welsh faded out as an attacking force. A short corner saw Johnstone's flick go agonisingly over the bar and a series of Scottish attacks ended with the ball going past or an error giving the ball back to the Welsh. Two more Scottish short corners before the end of the match were unsuccessful and the match ended with no further scoring. Scotland's chances of progressing were seriously damaged and qualification through third place seemed the best prospect available.

Fri 6 June Netherlands Flag Netherlands 4 Scotland 1 (Candlin) Scotland flag

Scotland approached their second match with a much more positive attitude than in their previous game but they could have been one down in a few minutes when Taylor brought off a superb save from a Dutch lob which looked as if it would sail over his head into the net. However it was not long before Netherlands took the lead, a little against the run of play. Scotland restored parity just before half time at a short corner when the ball was fed back to the injector, Candlin, who picked his spot in the Dutch net from an acute angle. Encouraged by this, Scotland pressed up on the Dutch in the second half but could not convert, while Netherlands always looked dangerous on the break - in fact so dangerous as to score three breakwaway goals, two in the third quarter and one in the fourth after Scotland pressure ended in a breakdown and Netherlands moved the ball quickly to their forwards who combined well to put the match beyond Scotland. While the score is not a true reflection of the percentage of possession, the Dutch created and took their chances, which is what the game is all about. Keeper Chris Taylor was named man of the match.

Sat 7 June All Ireland flag Ireland 2 Scotland 1 (Lorimer) Scotland flag

Scotland reverted to the form of the first day, throwing away their chance of qualifying for the semi finals by losing 1-0 to Ireland. Two early goals for Ireland left Scotland chasing the match. The first came through a penalty flick and was followed soon after by a goal at a short corner after Kalman saved well but was unable to stop the rebound from going in past him. Scotland pressed and pressed, but most of the play was in the middle three channels and the Irish defence coped easily with the Scottish forwards. Scotland finally got on the score sheet when Connaghan made a good run down the right for once and crossed for Lorimer to net from close range. The irish always looked dangerous on the break and Kalman saved Scotland when he was fast off his line to close down an Ireland attacker with only Kalman to beat. No amount of Scottish effort could produce another goal and Scotland were left still without a win in the tournament. Johnstone was the man of the match.

Mon 9 June Spain Flag Spain 3 Scotland 1 (Morrison) Scotland flag

Scotland, without both Bishop and Moore, started well and took the lead through Morrison who had the last touch in the circle from a cross from the right before a Spanish defender put the ball into his own net. Scotland tried to build their lead and won a couple of short corners, both unsuccessful, but Spain had more luck, scoring twice from short corners to finish the first half 2-1 up. Scotland pressed in the second half but no goals came in the third quarter in spite of Scotland's having created a number of chances. Spain sealed victory with a breakaway goal in the final quarter. This was a much improved performance by the team, giving hope that sharper finishing would lead to victory. The players chose Candlin as the man of the match. The result left Scotland with no wins out of their four pool matches, fighting it out for positions 9-15 in their three remaining matches, starting with a match against New Zealand on Tuesday 10 June in which a win was needed for a place in the 9-12 playoffs.

Play Offs and Finals

Tue 10 June New Zealand Flag New Zealand 1 Scotland 4 (S Robertson, Wilson, Connaghan, Morrison) Scotland flag

Scotland claimed a place in the 9-12 playoffs with a score that does not do a stuffy New Zealand side full justice, though Scotland at times were the better side. Scotland opened the scoring through S Robertson who met a cut back at the top of the circle and put the ball past the New Zealand keeper through a ruck of players. It could have been 2-0 soon after when Ogilvie's pass left Lorimer with the simplest of tasks to put the ball into the empty net but inexplicably he put the ball wide of the goal. New Zealand, playing a forceful brand of hockey, were not out of the match by any means but the half ended with Scotland one up. The second half began with New Zealand on the front foot, helped by wayward passing by the Scots who had abandoned their passing game and were resorting to long, hopeful balls which were easily mopped up by the Black Sticks defence. At the back, McBride in particular had some crucial interceptions, while Wilson coped well in a bruising encounter with the New Zealand central striker. Finally the pressure told and New Zealand equalised, setting up an exciting conclusion to the match. Scotland responded and won several short corners. Finally, at a short corner, Wilson slipped the ball to Paton, whose shot rebounded off the keeper straight back to Wilson to restore Scotland's lead. Into the last quarter and New Zealand took the gamble of taking off their goalkeeper and playing with eleven outfield players. Within seconds, they lost their bet as Connaghan's cross from the left was deflected into his own net by a New Zealand defender. The game became very open but the Scottish defence was up to dealing with the New Zealand power play, and Scotland could have scored several more but for their wasting several three on two situations up front. In the last minute, Morrison decided to take the ball for a run himself down the left and literally ran [the ball into the net to make the final score 4-1. Wilson was voted man of the match. Two more wins will secure ninth place for Scotland.

Thu 12 June South Africa flag South Africa 2 Scotland 3 (Ogilvie, Lorimer, Morrison) Scotland flag video

Scotland started slowly but gradually worked their way into the game before losing a goal from a short corner against the run of play, but Ogilvie restored parity with a goal at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter unfolded in the same way, South Africa taking the lead before Lorimer fired in a great shot off a rebound from the keeper's pads to equalise and leave the teams locked at 2-2 at half time. The third quarter was keenly contested by both sides but neither team could finish off in the circle. Scotland moved ahead for the first time in the match half way through the final quarter when Morrison netted after one of their best moves of the game. A yellow card for Johnstone in the dying minutes made it difficult to hold on to the lead but Scotland resisted strongly and saw out the match to win 3-2 and claim a place in the 9-10 final with their second win in succession. Man of the match: Paton.

Fri 13 June All Ireland flag Ireland 1 Scotland 2 (Watson, Connaghan) Scotland flag

Scotland finished the competition in fine style with their third win in a row. With a number of players on the plane home, they called up Donald Dunbar and Jim Watson who had been playing for Alliance in the tournament trophy (and had already played a match the same morning), and eeper Chris Kalman offered to play outfield The squad looked even more threadbare when first Chisholm and then Johnstone were forced to leave the pitch with injuries in the first and third quarters respectively. After a goallless first half in which Taylor in the Scottish goal had some vital saves to keep out the Irish, Watson celebrated his elevation to the Scotland squad by scoring the first goal from open play in the third quarter. Scotland took control but conceded a short corner goal in the third quarter. Scotland upped the tempo and wiith five minutes left Connaghan scored what proved to be the winner, again from open play. There was going to be only one winner after that and Scotland never looked like giving up on their hard won ninth place. If only they had started playing earlier... The form they showed in their final games would surely have seen them in a much higher place in the standings but ninth place after such a poor start is surely a good sign for the future. Man of the match: Peter Burns, who claims it was to be his last match as he is retiring. The man of the tournament award went to DerekJohnstone, playing his first tournament for Scotland Over 60s.

Over 65s

Scotland Over 65s faced England, Japan and Netherlands in a group of four in which only the top two would qualify for the semi finals (after a repeat match against each other to even up the number of matches played by the semi finalists), the other teams carrying their result through into the play offs for places 5-9.

Scotland Squad

Auld, Bain, Bryce (Captain), Crichton, Downie, Ferrol, Gordon, Margerison, McLernan, McNab, Philip, Pollard (GK), Springford, Trainor, Turner, Weir.

Pool B England Flag Japan FlagNetherlands Flag Scotland flag

Thu 5 June Netherlands Flag Netherlands 5 Scotland 0 Scotland flag video

Scotland put in a workmanlike performance against a superior Dutch team, and could gain some satisfaction with the way in which they managed a match which they never had a realistic chance of winning. The Netherlands team was very well organised and closed down the Scots whenever they tried to build up an attack, as well as being in position every time to pick up any long balls which Scotland tried to play up to the forwards. Their players chased and harried the Scots and made it difficult for them to enjoy any kind of pressure, while the Dutch were quick to exploit turnover ball and to exert pressure on the Scottish defence. Ten short corners to Netherlands, none to Scotland tells its own story. Scotland conceded a goal in each of the first three quarters, each time as a direct result of a mistake by a Scottish player and the resultant loss of shape as other players left their men to help make amends for the mistake. The Dutch appeared to sit back in the fourth quarter, allowing Scotland to have some good possession, but not to the point of challenging the host nation's goalkeeper. However enforced changes in midfield resulted in Scotland's losing the initiative again and two goals in the last five minutes, one from a short corner, put paid to the idea that Scotland might come out with a creditable 0-3 score, the match ending with a 5-0 score in favour of the Netherlands.

Fri 6 June England Flag England 12 Scotland 0 Scotland flag

If the Over 65s first match was an uphill task, their second match gave them the near impossible job of matching an Engand side which had gained a number of significant new players from the Over 60s of previous years. Worse, they were down to only fourteen players, Trainor being unable to take the field through injury for the second day in a row and Crichton being back in Scotland for the day at work. Truth to tell, it was an unfair contest and England ran out easy winners. The scene was set in the first quarter; valiant Scottish defence kept the English at bay only for them to win a short corner, and for a time it seemed impossible for England to miss from a short corner. Everything about the short corner drill was immaculate, with a series of variation which left the Scottish defenders completely bamboozled. By the time they finally scored an open play goal, Scotland were looking ragged and disjointed, a combination of injuries and tiredness contributing in errors which returned possession England, who took their gifts gratefully. A score of 7-0 at half time was a true reflection of the gulf beetween the two teams. Scotland lost another goal soon after the restart but rallied a bit and even won two short corners, neither of which led to a shot on goal. A ninth for England duly arrived but Scotland pulled themselves together and tried to play their way out of defence, now under less pressure from their opponents. For a good while it looked as if the tide had been stemmed but England were having a breather and the exhausted Scots let in a further three goals in the last quarter to end the match 12-0 in favour of England.

Sat 7 June Japan Flag Japan 2 Scotland 2 (Bryce, Margerison) Scotland flag

Scotland Over 65s missed a great chance to take third place in their pool, throwing away a 2-1 lead in the last quarter to leave the match against Japan tied at 2-2, and giving Japan third place on goal difference. Scotland had the bulk of the possession but Japan moved the ball quickly in midfield and created the more dangerous situations in the first half. They were awarded a number of short corners but failed to make any of them count. Scotland had one, at which Bryce shot narrowly past the right hand post, but otherwise there was little threat to the Japanese goal. The second half changed all that when Japan went ahead after an attack broke down and the ball was cleared straight to the Japanese right back. He fired in a diagonal ball towards the penalty and a Japanese forward got in front of his defender and deflected the ball past Pollard in the Scottish goal to put Japan 1-0 up. Scotland rallied and won a penalty corner, Bryce this time making no mistake and netting for the equaliser. Soon after, at another short corner, Bryce slipped the ball to the right but Trainor's shot was saved on the line by a Japanese defender. Scotland continued to press and got their reward when the ball bounced around in the Japanese circle before Margerison slipped it past the Japan keeper to put Scotland ahead 2-1. Scotland went into the fourth quarter knowing that third place was theirs if they could retain the lead, but by this time the Scottish midfield had all but disappeared through fatigue and injury, and Japan mounted offensive after offensive down their right flank and through the middle, where they found little resistance until they met the back line. Unfortunately one such attack saw a Japanese forward with a clear sight of goal and in the ball went to level the scores at 2-2.

Play Offs and finals

Tue 10 June 09:15 Pitch 4 A4 v Scotland Scotland flag

Because of mistakes made by the tournament organisation, this match did not take place. Scotland turned up at the appointed time to find that South Africa, who had finished fourth in their pool, were not there because the schedule showed our opposition as Wales, and Wales were not there either because the tournament programme showed them having a rest day.

Wed 11 June 14:30 Wales flagWales 2 Scotland 0 Scotland flag

In a match in which Scotland dominated possession, Wales took their chances and claimed the points. Scotland started the match on the front foot, pressing high and forcing Wales to defend deep. However they played into Welsh hands by confining most of the attacks to the middle three channels, where the massed Welsh defence was strong, and nothing came of any of the Scottish attacks. The Welsh, however, were always lively on the break, being much quicker than Scotland at supporting their forwards. Downie was caught in possession as he tried to play the ball out of defence and a deflected pass into the circle found Phillips unmarked in the circle. The Welsh striker had an easy task to put the ball past Pollard to make the score 1-0 to Wales. Scotland, whose two main strikers, Crichton and Springford, had returned home, lacked the guile to break down a well organised Welsh defence. In the second half, Scotland redoubled their efforts and began to play with more width, helped by the inclusion of Gordon who had come off the bench, and Bain who was now being found out on the right by his team mates. Unfortunately, a series of attacks down the right came to nothing when the final pass failed to find a Scottish attacker or a shot from a narrow angle was saved by Welsh keeper Thomas. The nearest Scotland came to scoring was when Gordon flashed a fierce shot across Thomas but saw it go narrowly past his right hand post. Wales showed Scotland how to do it when a pass straight down the middle found Day in front of Philip on the penalty spot, and Day cleverly deflected the ball into the Scottish net past the unsighted Pollard. Try as they might, Scotland could not retrieve the two goal deficit. Their short corner drill, normally very effective, fell down on this occasion, partly because the Welsh were very fast off the line and also partly because of two woeful injections which did not even go out of the circle. Scotland were in the Welsh circle 30 times, while Wales were in the Scottish circle only eight times, but possession alone does not win games and Wales ran out 2-0 winners on the day. All the same, this was a good performance by Scotland who played some open, flowing hockey and lacked only a cutting edge.

Thu 12 June Italy flag Italy 3 Scotland 2 (McNab, Gordon) Scotland flag

In their last match, Scotland got off to the worst possible start, conceding two goals to Italy in the first half. The Italians were fast on the break and were able to attack in numbers, the first goal arriving when the overloaded Scottish defence was unable to clear the ball from the onrushing Italians. The second goal came from a long ball up to their dangerous striker who was able to turn his marker and fire the ball into the net. Scotland had a good deal of possession in midfield, an area conceded by Italy when they were no in possession, but they were wasteful with the ball, time and again trying to force the ball through the well marshalled centre of the Italian defence. Italy continued to trouble Scotland on the break and forced a number of short corners, from one of which the ball hit Auld's leg on the line - penalty stroke. The Italian striker put the ball in the net but the umpire for some reason disallowed the goal and ordered the penalty to be retaken; the second attempt rebounded off Pollard's right hand post. Scotland cut the lead down to 2-1 just before half time when a rehearsed move at a short corner worked well. Striker Bryce slipped the ball left and it was fired across the goalkeeper where McNab was on hand at the Italians' left hand post to steer the ball into the net amid Italian protests that it had not gone in. 2-1 down at half time, Scotland resolved to use the wide areas of the pitch and things improved greatly, particularly down the right where Bain had some storming runs and cut backs, though no Scottish stick was able to make the vital contact. Soon after, Gordon picked up a pass on the right of the goal and squeezed it in from a narrow angle to equalise. Scotland continued to press but with no further goals, while Italy forced a series of short corners, finally scoring to make the score 3-2 in their favour. Scotland redoubled their efforts and won a short corner right at the end of the match but after consultation it turned out that the judges had ended the match just before the award and the penalty corner was not taken. Scotland ended a disappointing campaign with only a single draw our of their five matches.

Fri 13 June Final, 3/4 Place Final

Participating Countries

France, Ireland and Malaysia are additions to the Over 60s countries at the last World Cup, expanding the total number to 15 countries. Italy is added to the Over 65s countries which participated in Oxford, bringing the total to 9 countries.

Over 60s (15 teams)

Australia, Belgium, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, Spain and Wales.

Over 65s (9 teams)

Australia, England, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Scotland, South Africa and Wales